The “buy” links are for stories that are part of an anthology. Otherwise, everything else is free to read online.
- “Vietnamized” – Di-fur-sity: Stories by Furries of Color (buy)
A tigress’s relationships with her parents and Nigerian elephant boyfriend change forever when a traumatic head injury renders her unable to speak English.
- “Caring For Dragons and Growing a Flower” – Podcastle (read)
Fantasy set during the Vietnam War
A medic, forced to care for the enemy army’s dragons, exchanges coded letters with his wife.
- “Saga of the Knapaleith” – Zooscape (read)
Anthro fiction set in Viking-era Iceland
A pair of Arctic foxes set out to save their kind from destruction after receiving an ominous vision from the goddess of death.
- “Malebolge” – Ombak (read)
Near-future slipstream set in Vietnam
A pathologist that can hear microorganisms receives mysterious, tempting messages from a secret admirer. (Cover story of inaugural issue)
- “In the Name of Science” – Infurno: The Nine Circles of Hell (buy)
Anthro historical fiction set in WWII China and Japan
Journal entries from a young surgeon conducting unethical operations at the notorious Unit 731.
- “The Same Within” – Wolf Warriors Volume IV (buy)
Fantasy set in Russia
A mother wolf teaches her squabbling cubs a valuable lesson
- “The Time For Giving” – Arcana – Tarot anthology (buy)
Anthro historical fiction set in Mongolia and Soviet Russia
An injured, stranded Russian wolf is given hospitality by a family of Mongolian horses, despite her deeds as a treacherous NKVD agent.
- “Tucked In the Folds of Our Eyes” – Remixt (read)
Flash contemporary fantasy
Combines the diaspora narrative, Vietnam’s creation myth, and jabs at Eurocentric standards of beauty
- “Hope For the Harbingers” – ROAR 8 anthology (buy)
Anthro apocalyptic fantasy
God lifts up damned souls from Hell to appoint them as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Death finds a glimpse of redemption in doing his duty.
- “Bread and Butter” – Symbol of a Nation anthology (buy)
Anthro historical fiction
The origin of the Vietnamese sandwich with anthro water buffalos (and a French rooster).
- “Red Beret” – Werewolves Versus Fascism (buy)
Werewolf story set in Russia
A half-Kazakh half-Russian Spetsnaz werewolf is imprisoned and roughed up by neo-Nazis, putting his spirit and strength to the test.
- “Four Claws” – Insignia Series (buy)
A Chinese princess, descended from a family of imperial dragons, is framed for a crime she did not commit and is exiled to Tibet.
- “March of the Elephants” – Anak Sastra (read)
My take on the true story of the Trung sisters, who led a rebellion to free Vietnam from imperial China.
Reprint in Banana Writers (read)
- “Solongo” – Wolf Warriors Volume III anthology (buy)
A young Mongolian wolf embarks on his first hunt.
- “The Bird and Baby” – Stupefying Stories
Historical fantasy set in 1770s Russia
While a monstrous epidemic sweeps the land, a plague doctor takes a baby under her wing.
- “Sunrise For The Shotelai” – A Sword Master’s Tale
Anthro fantasy set in ancient Ethiopia
A shotel-wielding lion hunts down soul-stealing demons that have enslaved his family.
- “Diver” – Silver Honorable Mention, Writers of the Future, Q1 2017
Near-future science fiction set in Texas